Sunday, October 3, 2010

Lagos, Portugal



Last weekend, I set out with 6 other girls for a weekend spent at the beach in Lagos! There is a company in Sevilla that offers trips specifically for students but they can be a bit pricier. Instead of this option, my friend Becky, (a fellow Appalachian), planned the trip, booked a hostel, and found the bus! Instead of paying 135 euro we paid around 70 each! And was it worth it??? Absolutely, YES! I have never seen more beautiful beaches.

I think I fell in love with Portugal! The people were very friendly, everyone spoke English, and in the evenings it felt like fall! Granted, this is a very touristy town, it was nice to enjoy a change of pace from Sevilla. Did I mention it was cute, all in white and cobblestone?

Basically, my two glorious days were spent lying in the sun (on the praia Dana Ana), swimming in the crystal clear water, and marveling at the cliffs and grottos. On our last morning there, we took a boat ride through the grottos on the Algarve coast! It was awesome to be able to go through the coves and to see all of the beaches and rock formations from a different angle.

I thought that this was the conclusion of my excellent weekend however, I ended up being able to pass another day in paradise…when upon arrival at the bus station we were told that it was full (the next bus to Sevilla being at 6:30 the next morning). This meant that we had to stay another night, miss our Monday classes, and arrive in Sevilla around 3 o’clock, the NEXT day!

We made the best of it and passed the rest of the day on the beach (it was just as wonderful as before)! We resigned ourselves to being homeless for the night and staying up all night to catch our early morning bus. This voluntary homelessness stopped being fun in the cold, around 2 am. As you can imagine, cold, sleep/food deprivation, and a six-hour bus ride is an unkind combination. I can only imagine what my host mom thought when I staggered into the apartment the next day wearing half the contents of my suitcase, smelling, and with indescribably horrific beach hair. Remember, there were no showers after a lovely day spent on the beach!

In retrospect, it is a funny story (one I will strive to never relive, ha ha). Despite the hiccups, I had a great time in Portugal! It is a paradise that most people, at least in the States, overlook.

In other news, photo uploads are not working and I am struggling with the fact that I am STILL in school (what’s homework?). Miles just booked his flight to visit in December and I am now very distracted planning a trip to Rome!

No comments:

Post a Comment