Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Flamenco

Hello,HOLA

I just returned from my weekend trip to Madrid (it is a more fabulous city than I had imagined).
I had the impression that Spain's capital would be large, daunting, and overwhelming; fortunately, I discovered this was not the case! Madrid is my kind of city, more info and photos to come.

In the meantime...I have been reading up about flamenco
Before coming to Sevilla, I thought of flamenco only as a style of dance; I was completely unaware of the culture, musicians, and singers that are also essential. Flamenco is a gypsy tradition from Anadalucía (the southern province of Spain that I am living in). The guitarists create beautiful, unusual rhythms, the cantaores sing sad, wailing lyrics, and the dancers express so much passion!

Only a few weeks into my stay here, I went to a flamenco show at La Carboneria (an enchanting hole in the wall, that is impossible to find and somehow houses a dive bar in the back). It is in the neighborhood of Santa Cruz, which is among the most beautiful parts of the city.




Here is just an example of the typical style seen here! Flamenco has also had a huge influence on modern Spanish music, especially Jazz and Rock. If you haven't, please listen to the Gipsy Kings!

No comments:

Post a Comment