Friday, May 21, 2010

I Like Hipster Music

I took a whirlwind 36 hour trip to D.C. and this is all I saw


It took at least 14 hours in the car to get to D.C., then an hour long commute by Metro for 5 minutes spent in the Spanish consulate. I literally walked in the building, handed over the documents and money, then left. Is it really necessary to make people do that in person???? Oh well, it is finished and hopefully in a month I will have a visa! Unfortunately, because my trip was so short, I don't have any exciting trip details. I have been to D.C. a million and a half times to visit family so I have seen most of the monuments and many museums. If you haven't done this, I HIGHLY recommend it. D.C. is a great city to visit--it is very accessible and tourist friendly (the Metro has to be the easiest mode of public transportation to use). PS: I've been invited by my Great Aunt and Uncle to go with them to Alaska in July!

As an aside, if you have the chance to go to Johnson City, TN, I wouldn't say jump at the opportunity, but it is a much cuter city than I expected. The city is extremely clean and seems like it is becoming a nice place to shop and eat. I went because Miles heard about a Cage the Elephant show so we decided to check it out. Good music doesn't often come to the Boone area so we took a mini road trip down the mountain. We found a little German restaurant to eat at called Freiberg's, I can't say that I am an authority on good/authentic German food, but I had schnitzel, sauerkraut, and red cabbage so I can't complain.

Here is where the hipster music finally comes in! In the restaurant I was on hipster alert as we kept seeing them come in and out of the building. After dinner we walked down the street to the venue, Capone's, hoping to have missed the openers (I never appreciate hearing the opening bands which is kind of unfortunate). Turns out we didn't miss them and there were two! The first one AutoVaughn was decent, but nothing to write home about, however the second band, Morning Teleportation was very good and even better, ALL of the hipsters from Freiberg's were in the band. But in all honesty I think you should watch out for Morning Teleportation, I think they could be really big and are under the wing of Modest Mouse!!! Most importantly though Cage the Elephant gave a great energetic performance and the best encore i've ever seen. I like them much better live than on the album however, both are good. Overall, it was a good trip with good food and music!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment