Friday, September 17, 2010

15 Days, That's All?

Since I left my family and cool weather behind in Antwerp, I haven't been able to motivate myself to post anything. I would love to say it is because I have been so distracted by my incredible new home, but that would be a lie. I only arrived here last Sunday however, it feels like a lifetime ago. Let's just say that Sevilla and I didn't get off to a great start. I have enough details to write a short novel but I promise to spare you!

I left Brussels with new clothes and a brave face and arrived there soaked in sweat and choking back tears. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all bad. On the plane ride, I met a lovely Belgian girl named Flor who is studying at the University of Seville. We helped each other manage until we needed to part ways. Those of you who know me understand my struggle with bus systems and generally with public transportation (I blame it on living in Boone too long!). So arriving by bus was a lofty goal requiring a lot of effort with broken Spanish and a very uncomfortable conversation with an old man on the bus. He knew where I was going but wouldn't stop waving rosemary in my face and asking about the political climate in the U.S. (in Spanish). Oh, did I not mention that? No one in Seville speaks English. Talk about immersion. More like submersion and I'm drowning! I promise to do my best and give real, timely updates from now on (and hopefully, if my internet doesn't fail, there will be pictures!).


No comments:

Post a Comment