Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cologne, Koln, or the City of a Million Names?

Cologne!!!
What a wonderful city.
Maybe it was that we were relieved of the worry of 6 am flights
No longer did I have to attempt to speak Italian-Spanish
Or just that the city seemed vaguely familiar and unusually manageable...
Whatever it was, I can say that Miles and I both fell in love with Germany!


Nogger ice cream bar; which also became an insult. Example: I wish that you would stop being such a nogger today.

Upon arrival at the airport, we boarded a slightly confusing train into the city. All went well, until that unavoidable moment of uncertainty, "should we get off here?!?", "Well, how would I know? Maybe!"...."Get off, HURRY!"

And we got off... to discover a beautifully snowy little city!
Which probably would have been ideal had Miles not been dragging my 40lbs. suitcase through snow drifts. Luckily, after 10 blocks or so we located the hotel which was not a disappointment (well, except for the 10 flights of stairs my suitcase had to travel...thx Walt)!


A Metro view of the Rhine

We learned our lesson in Italy, so this time we did some research which really did pay off!
We hopped on the Metro, that employs an honor system for payment (an added complication for weary tourists), and headed downtown. We trekked around in the snow, enjoying the Christmas decorations that were still up.
Starving and ready for the German beer, we headed to El Gaucho, an Argentinian restaurant that received incredible reviews. We found it, got a table without a reservation, AND sat a table away from the gaucho, I call that success! The gaucho is the proprietor of the restaurant and actually wears a gaucho costume---I was hoping to impress him with my sweet Spanish skillz, but alas he did not come visit us! However, we both agree that we received the best steak and potato of our LIVES! This is no exaggeration, I have never tasted something so tender, juicy, and seasoned to perfection. I still think about it longingly, not to mention the Gaffel Kolsch which just tastes better in Germany than in the US of A.


Kölner Dom or High Cathedral of of Saints Peter and Mary

The famous cathedral in Cologne, which survived the bombings during WWII
It really was beautiful and a unique experience because both my grandfather and Miles' had been in Cologne during WWII. His as a soldier, living in the Cathedral and mine as a child visiting with a Nazi soldier, who had occupied their home in Belgium during the war.





One of the most beautiful and simple stained glass windows I have ever seen. Just colored squares!





After rushing around to see all of the sites in Rome, it was so nice to just relax and have no schedule in Cologne! There were some things that I wish we had gotten to do however, the holidays complicated some of those. My friend Irena, who is from Cologne, recommended the Lindt chocolate factory and the museum of Roman history. So, if you're in Koln, check them out!

Next up, Antwerp!

No comments:

Post a Comment